Wednesday, September 19, 2012

island plums and blackberries . . .


u m m m m . . . u m m m m . . .
everything tastes a little better when it comes from the garden . . .

and this year - my little garden is happier than ever!!!


My daughter and I have been picking the fruit as fast as we can . . .



both plums . . . and blackberries . . .
they seem to be overflowing in our yard . . . and on our little island!!

 
I see it all over Facebook - my friends and neighbors all canning away . . .
making all sorts of things to bring out fresh when winter sets in!

Well - I have been a little short on time lately . . .
sooooo - I just keep popping these sweet things in my mouth . . .
and sometimes . . .
I throw a bag or two of them in the freezer for later . . .


The other day I was wishing I had more time to just play in the kitchen . . .
to make some yummy jams and such . . . like all those friends of mine . . .
thinking how much greener it is over there - on the other side of the fence . . .

and then - to my surprise . . .
a very old-fashioned thing happened . . .


a new friend down the street just dropped by with the most delicious
plum jam . . . and the most amazing chutney ever!! :)

It was such a sweet thing to do . . . and it truly made my day!!!


Needless to say . . .
we have been enjoying a little dollop here and there of this sweet summer sunshine . . .
on toast and such . . .

one sweet spoonful at a time!!!


And now . . . I just have one other thing on my mind . . .

I need to figure out what kind of dish I am going to make
to compliment that amazing chutney!!  H m m m m . . .

Thank you again Rick - you are a sweet and kind neighbor . . .
and it was such a thoughtful gift!!!

you are the BEST!!! :)


until next time . . .

. . . . . . .

food dreams and a kiss . . .
from my kitchen . . . to yours!!

xoxo - liz



8 comments:

Sister Patty said...

Liz... absolutely delightful!

Unknown said...

Thank you Patty!!

Rebecca said...

I love blackberry season on the island Liz! I always smile when driving past those who have stopped along the road for a handful, a bucketful. Often it 's an older couple, or mother and child, or cyclist who take the time to pause and enjoy the moment. Today I saw a man wearing a suit carefully holding back his tie -obviously just returning from work - while he filled a bag. A feel good moment! You think he has a good jam recipe?

Florence said...

Love your new blog! I totally understand having the time, this fall has been very full of things, not allowing me to get some stocking up done, other than throwing fruit into the freezer for quieter days. Hugs to you! Florence

Unknown said...

Thanks for your comment Rebecca!! I couldn't agree more . . . love seeing people on the sides of the roads eating them . . . and this year especially - the blackberrys have gone absolutely crazy!! Now - off to pick some more!! :)

Unknown said...

It is hard to be in the Kitchen when it is so beautiful outside these days!! :) Just keep throwing them in the freezer Florence for one of those cold rainy days instead!! Hugs to you as well!!! xoxo

Lee said...

This all sounds delicious. In spite of our dreadful Midwestern heat this past summer, we have enjoyed beautiful and tastey produce from our local farmers' markets. Would Rick be willing to share his recipes for the chutney and the jam?

Unknown said...

Hi Lee!! I will ask him . . . that would be a ton of fun - it is really tasty!! :)